Tuesday 14 December 2010

Production for Visual Communicators - "The Design Workflow; From Novice to Expert"

The way in which people create work is often indicative of their relative experience and seniority as designers.
For example, 'seniority' is often defined, in company terms, by the number of people who are working underneath you. As the design 'flow' is passing through you in the chain of development it is implied that, as you are assessing the work of others and evaluating their ideas and creative design process, you must have some form of experience which sets you above them. It also implies that you have shown a level of expertise which represents the fact that you are not a novice, at least in the eyes of upper management and your previous client base. This defines the relationship between one form of design workflow and the experience of the workforce - at any level.
This is an example of the general outline of my personal workflow:
During this sequence I am taking inspiration from all of my primary sources, and am attempting to amalgamate historical reference with fresh inspiration to suit the brief. I am by no means a professional but I would like to think of myself as 'Proficient' if I had to place myself somewhere between 'Novice' and 'Expert' due to my personal working standard. However, this is all relative; each practitioner is subject to the client's judgement of their credo and ability in order to stand a chance of being hired to contract work.

No comments:

Post a Comment